Monday, June 16, 2008

Back To Work Monday



My weekend was really productive! This photo is from my scientific method of object placement. Box needs a shelf so this is how I determined where the shelf should go. I used balsa wood for the trim and the shelf, I only needed something lightweight so the balsa wood was a great fit. I added a base to help balance the weight of the eight ball. I used square cubes for the legs and wooden beads for embellishments. I painted the whole thing flat black. It took several coats of paint, the wood was really quite dry. While waiting for the paint to dry I went through or at least made a valiant attempt to go through; all of my buttons. I have collected buttons with no real reason with the exception that I just really like them. I have horded buttons for years. I made a significant dent, I separated the shank buttons from the flat buttons and the metal buttons from the plastic, wood and rhinestone buttons. Now that I am separating the buttons, I am going to have to find a way to keep them separated. There are some really cool buttons that will just have to be applied to a box, it would be great if I could just put my hands on them, without having to hunt them down. Right now the buttons are in little piles on a large plastic lid, one bump and they are back to a messy pile. The paint is still not dry, the air is much to humid. The base of the wedding couple needs a bit of a lift and a much more decorative base. I used a child's alphabet block to give the couple a bit more height. The alphabet block is something I have been saving the alphabet blocks for the letters, but this block had a nasty hole right thru the letter so I felt ok about using the block where it wouldnt be seen. I rummaged through my art papers and found plenty of black and white papers to work with, enough that the papers should have their own compartment (another thing for the "to do" list". I think the best choice for the papers are graphic designs adding to the whimsy of the piece; I am going to go with diamonds and polka dots. I am going to use the graphic paper on the top half and white feathers for the background on the bottom half. I am sure that in a perfect world a "magic" eight ball would have wings. To add to my list of things we take chances on: driving through the construction zones, petting a strange cat, having fabric cut without knowing the price and walking out the door everyday.

No comments: