Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mid States Exhibit


Well, here is one of the two entries in my attempt to be selected in the "Mid States" Exhibit, held at the Evansville Museum of Arts and Science. This piece is "Incubator", she is my first piece to have a lighting element (that actually works). She is a variation of an art box I did early this year entitled "Incubator of Dreams". Often I think my art boxes are a bit off putting to the viewer. My thought in creating "Incubator" was to make the piece an interpretation of the same subject in a more understandable presentation (a piece that looks more like a painting than a three dimensional piece) in the hope that it might be more viewer friendly.
She is an acrylic painting on board, with plenty of gold leafing for her halo. The box inset or the incubator itself, is an assortment of found objects. The photo used as the background is the working photo of the original art box "Incubator of Dreams". I have used, wire sod, wire grate, eggs, ribbon, mirror, rubber, found metal letters and let me not forget the lighting element. Many thanks to Katie Waters and Rob Millard Mendez who helped guide me in this first attempt.

No comments: